The church was built in 19th century, 1480 meters above the sea level, in village Mleta. Above the village, on the mountain there is an ancient temple of St. George called St George of Lomisa, which belongs to pre-medieval period. According to the legend, Lomisa was a name of the bull that liberated 7000 Georgian slaves from the invaders.

Because of the harsh climate, it is only possible to work on the painting of the church for few months.  The following work was done from 21 June till 17 September, 2011. Only northern and southern arches were painted during this period of time.

Irakli medoshvili,  Levan Davitiani,Vakhtang Chikadze, Guram Razmiashvili and Father John (Kurashvili)  took part in painting the church, alongside with Lasha Kintsurashvili.